Stagecoach, circa 1890
This stagecoach was built by Abbott & Downing, an American company, and is one of the two stagecoaches that were used to transport passengers and mail in the Stanstead area, first by Bert Channell and later by Mr. Archie Walker. The arrival of the railway in Stanstead in 1896 brought a decline in the use of stagecoaches. Archie Walker sold his two stagecoaches to John and F. Winfield Hackett, who donated one of the vehicles to the Stanstead Historical Society in 1958. The other stagecoach is now part of Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation collections, located in Ottawa.
Inventory number: 1990.627.1-2