The Colby-Curtis Museum is housed in Carrollcroft, a magnificent heritage home built in 1859 by Dr. Moses French Colby.
While the collection of documents and artefacts was among its principal aims since its foundation in 1929, the Stanstead Historical Society did not posses adequate space for the presentation of its collection until 1973. In that year, Charles C. Colby and Arthur Curtis were instrumental in funding the first actual museum, which was named in their honour: The Colby-Curtis Museum. The converted schoolhouse in Beebe that housed the museum was a delight for members and visitors who could now, for the first time, enjoy full access to the Society’s archival documents and collections. In order to house the Society’s extensive agricultural collection, Lady Banting lent the Society the use of her barn in Rock Island.
In 1986, the Society sold the converted school in Beebe and bought a property in Stanstead, the former R.C.M.P. building on Dufferin Street, in order to accommodate the collection. Finally, in 1992, the Colby family donated their magnificent ancestral home, “Carrollcroft,” with all its contents to the Stanstead Historical Society. Since then, Carrollcroft, a classical Revival-style villa, built in 1859, has been the home for the Colby-Curtis Museum.
Through exhibitions, educational programming, publications and cultural activities, the Colby-Curtis Museum seeks to promote regional history to a variety of publics.
The Colby-Curtis Museum is dedicated to preserving, interpreting and presenting the history, heritage and culture of the border regions of the Eastern Townships.
Director-Curator: Samuel Gaudreau-Lalande
Collection : Marie-Anne Durocher
Archives: Kathy Curtis
Administration: Alison Hannan
Thank You to our Supporters
Gilles Bélanger, Député de Orford Partie Libéral du Québec
Young Canada Work
Municipality of Stanstead County
Municipality of Ogden
Municipality of Stanstead Est