Colby-Curtis MuseumThe Colby-Curtis Museum is housed in Carrollcroft, a magnificent heritage home built in 1859 by Dr. Moses French Colby.
This mission will be accomplished with the active involvement of the membership of the Stanstead Historical Society and through exhibitions using the archives and collections of the Stanstead Historical Society and the archives and collections donated by the Colby family and by preserving “Carrollcroft,” the home of the Colby family since 1859.
2. To have a commitment to excellence in research, exhibitions, interpretive programs and publications.
3. To encourage deeper understanding and appreciation of the area, and to continue to research, document and record the history of this unique border area.
4. To use the collections to help museum audiences understand the social, industrial, institutional, and professional history of the area, as well as the everyday lives of their ancestors.
5. To work with other historical societies, museums and educational institutions, sharing research, exhibitions and experience.
6. To continue to maintain memberships in and actively participate with relevant professional societies.
7. To abide by the established collection policy.
8. To use the museum as a hub from which to reach out into the community and to tie in the history of the Colby family with that of the area by means of lively and imaginative programs.
9. To respect the guidelines and to review them periodically.
In 1986, the Society sold the converted school in Beebe and bought a property in Stanstead, the former R.C.M.P. building on Dufferin Street, in order to accommodate the collection. Finally, in 1992, the Colby family donated their magnificent ancestral home, “Carrollcroft,” with all its contents to the Stanstead Historical Society. Since then, Carrollcroft, a classical Revival-style villa, built in 1859, has been the home for the Colby-Curtis Museum.
Director / Curator: Chloë Southam
Museology Technician: Elise Roberge
Archivist: Kathy Curtis
Administrative Assistant: Alison Hannan
The Colby-Curtis Museum receives financial support from the town of Stanstead and the Ministère de la Culture et des Communications.
Thank You to Our Museum Supporters
Pierre Reid Député de Orford Partie Libéral du Québec
Young Canada Work
Municipality of Stanstead County
Municipality of Ogden
Municipality of Stanstead Est