Catalogue of artefacts
SOLD OUT | THANKS TO ALL THE ADOPTERS!
Adopt an Artefact
The Colby-Curtis Museum (Stanstead Historical Society) is the custodian of an extensive collection of artefacts and archives bearing witness to the rich cultural heritage of the border community of Stanstead region, from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Adopt an Artefact fundraising program has been conceived as a way for residents, schools, businesses and organizations of the MRC de Memphrémagog to adopt an artefact from our collection for one year. By adopting one of our artefacts, you will be contributing in a meaningful way to support our mission.
All artefacts selected for this second edition of the Adopt an Artefact program, as well as the names of their adopters, were unveiled at the Unveiling Soirée which took place at the museum on Saturday, September 7, 2019.
This impressive selection of artefacts telling the stories of our region and community is yours to discover!
When you adopt an artefact from the catalogue, you will be entitled to the following benefits:
- A certificate of adoption & a document containing a photograph and a description of your artefact;
- A label displayed next to your artefact acknowledging your contribution (credit line is optional);
- An acknowledgement along with the other adopters on our website (optional);
- Your adoption story on our website (optional);
- First rights to re-adopt your artefact the following year;
- A tax receipt (total amount of the adoption);
- Two tickets to the Unveiling Soirée (adoptions of $750 and over);
- One ticket to the Unveiling Soirée (adoptions of $500 or less).
Adopting an artefact can be a fun and unique way of offering a gift to someone you love!
1. Stagecoach, circa 1890
This stagecoach was built by Abbott & Downing, an American company, and is one of the two stagecoaches that were used to transport passengers and mail in the Stanstead area, first by Bert Channell and later by Archie Walker. The arrival of the railway in Stanstead in 1896 brought a decline in the use of stagecoaches. Archie Walker sold his two stagecoaches to John and F. Winfield Hackett, who donated one of the vehicles to the Stanstead Historical Society in 1958. The other stagecoach is now part of Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation collections, located in Ottawa.
Inventory number: 1990.627.1-2
Adopted by Claude Lagacé & Paul Bannerman (Bannerman Foundation)
2. Square Piano, mid-19th century
This square piano was built by Lemuel Gilbert (1839-1863), one of the most important piano makers of the United States. Gilbert never produced a large volume of instruments, which is why his pianos, commercialized as Boudoir pianos, are extremely rare today. Unknown donor, around 1980.
Inventory number: 1989.33
Adopted by Danièle Lalande &
3. Cranberry Glass Collection, 19th century
Collection of free-blown glasses dubbed cranberry, adorned with white, rococo style figures hand-painted by British artist Mary Gregory. This collection was bequeathed to the Society in 1992 by Maurice Lemay, a renowned antique dealer and collector of the Sherbrooke area. Most of the articles on display are known as the Mary Gregory Pieces and were made by the famous Boston & Sandwich Glass Company, an important glass manufacturer located in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The rich cranberry colour was achieved by the addition of gold oxide to the molten glass. The term cranberry glass refers to the colour and not to a specific type of glass.
Inventory number: 1993.2.1-36
Adopted by Barbara Bruhmuller
4. Wall Clock, circa 1837
In spite of the presence of a few notable clockmakers in Quebec, the clockmaking industry in the province never really flourished. The clockmaking industries of the American states bordering Canada, such as New England or Connecticut, rapidly took over the North-American market. This piece is an exception and is one of the rare wall clocks made in Quebec, in Stanstead, by Porter Kimball. It is an extremely rare clockwork artefact; there now remain only a dozen similar pieces. This wall clock was donated to the Stanstead Historical Society in 1962 by Maurice Lemay, renowned antique dealer and collector of the Sherbrooke area.
Inventory number: 1989.1124
Adopted by Penny Packard & John Logan
5. John Joel Parker’s Box Camera, unknown date
J. Parker (1877-1961) was born in Hatley and was a graduate of the Commercial School at Stanstead College. He started his career in photography in 1896, working with George Johnston of Sherbooke. In November 1899, he opened his own studio in Derby Line at the corner of Caswell Avenue and Main Street. Around 1965, the SHS acquired some 7,000 glass negatives, mostly portraits and landscapes, which are now preserved for future generations. Parker and his wife, Ethelwyn Brooks, were active members of the SHS. This camera was donated to the Society in 1970 by the estate of J. J. Parker.
Inventory number: 1989.1588
Adopted by Peter Southam
6. Maude Gage Pellerin’s Typewriter, circa 1910
Maude Gage Pellerin (1884-1958), born in Granby, was an only child. When she was a young girl the family moved to Hatley, where Maude remained for the rest of her life. In addition to contributing to historical columns in the Stanstead Journal on a regular basis, Maude published two books: The Story of Hatley, a local history and Songs of Old Quebec. She also co-authored The Trail of the Broad Highway with her friend Bertha Weston Price. Donated by Linda, Brenda and Shirley Pellerin, granddaughters of Maude Gage Pellerin, 2017.
Inventory number: 2017.15.3
Adopted by Gael Eakin & Desmond Morton
7. Marlington Post Office
By the late 19th and early 20th centuries, almost every hamlet and village in Canada had its own local post office. Many of these were in private homes or stores, and each was overseen by a postmaster or postmistress. There were dozens of post offices in Stanstead County alone. One of them, the Marlington Post Office, opened February 1, 1887 and closed October 18, 1915. The postmasters were E. B. Gustin (1887-1903), Mrs. Mary Gustin (1903-1908), and Warren B. Bullock (1908-1915). Donation attributed to Arthur Soutière, between 1963 and 1972.
Inventory number: 1990.499
Adopted by Construction Mario Gosselin
8. Hunting Trophy, 1940
With a weight of about 1,200 pounds and antlers measuring 62.5 inches from one extremity to the other, this is one of the largest specimens of moose ever hunted in Quebec. This animal was captured by Merrick Belknap, Warren Drew and Everette Duquette, all residents of Magog at the time, as they were out capturing fish for Magog’s fish farm, near Carp Lake, located north of Saint-Jovite. Donated by Merrick Belknap for the exhibit Touring the Townships, 2010.
Inventory number: 2010.4
Adopted by Heather & Tom Conyers
9. Crazy Quilt, 1887
Crazy quilt handmade by Winifred Buckland Channell at the age of 16. Made of silk and velvet, each piece was embroidered and skillfully hand-painted, making it one of the richest and most beautiful quilts of Quebec popular artwork. Winnie Buckland (1870-1940) was born in Barnston. She married Leonard Channell, famous journalist and founder of the Sherbrooke Daily Record Company. After her husband’s death in 1909, she became Vice-President, and then President of the company, a highly unusual position for a woman of this era. Donated by Muriel Channell Greenleaf, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.143
Adopted by Ann Onymous
10. Narrows Bridge Construction Contract, 1881
The Narrows Bridge is a covered bridge spanning Fitch Bay on Lake Memphremagog. The bridge was built by Charles and Alexander MacPherson of Georgeville for the sum of $775. The contract spelled out every detail: the trusses had to be of the Town lattice type; the camber, 2.5 inches (6.35 cm); and the balance beams, of “old growth tamarack free from sap and all defects”. The material had to be “of first quality and the workmanship first class”. The Narrows Bridge still stands today, testament both to its sturdy construction and to the will of local people to preserve this important piece of their heritage. This artefact is part of the Marion Morrill Fonds.
Inventory number: Mor 15.1
Adopted by Construction Mario Gosselin
11. Model, 1956
In the Province of Quebec, round barns were scattered about the southern portion of the Eastern Townships, near the Canada-U.-S. border. Most of these structures date back to the early 20th century and make up an important part of our architectural heritage. Today, seven round barns remain in the area, including the one represented by this model, created by artist Orson Shorey Wheeler (1902-1990), originally from Way’s Mills. Wheeler created scale models of over 200 buildings throughout the world. He was one of Canada’s most renowned portrait sculptors. Several of his works as well as his personal archives are contained in the SHS’s collections. Donated by John H. E. Colby, 2006.
Inventory number: 2006.696
Adopted by Gabriel Safdie
12. Bichbark Canoe, late 19th century
For centuries, birchbark canoes were used by the indigenous peoples of Canada’s eastern woodlands. These boats were made by skilled craftsmen wherever bark of sufficient size and quality could be obtained. Other materials needed included white cedar, spruce roots, babiche (rawhide) and pitch usually consisting of balsam, pine, or spruce gum mixed with charcoal and animal fat. This canoe was built in the “Algonquin style”, with a slightly flared hull, distinctly pointed prows, and moderate curvature to accommodate both lake and river travel. The canoe may be of Abenaki origin from the St. Francis river valley region, but further research is required to ascertain its provenance. The use of wire nails to secure the gunwale cap suggests construction dating after 1880. Gift of by Mrs. Austen from Ayer’s Cliff, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1990.252
Adopted by Geneviève Monette & Eric Demers
13. 26th Stanstead Dragoons Military Tunic, circa 1910
This magnificent military tunic is one of the rare artefacts relating to this unit in the Stanstead Historical Society’s collection. This Reserve Force regiment originated in Coaticook, Quebec on April 1st, 1910, when the 26th Canadian Horse Stanstead Dragoons were authorized to be formed. It was redesignated 26th Stanstead Dragoons on September 3rd, 1912 and The Eastern Township Mounted Rifles on March 15th, 1920. On December 15th, 1936 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the 27th Field Brigade, Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA). Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 2016.512
Adopted by Brian & Kathy Curtis & family
14. Parka, circa 1880
Man’s parka originating from a Native community around the Great Lakes or in Manitoba, hand-tanned, made of prairie antelope hide or deer hide, of beaver fur and of glass pearls. It was modified in 1930; a lining was added, as well as a collar and cuffs made of beaver fur. This parka belonged to several generations of men of the Routledge family, descendants of Sir Hugh Allan, rich Montreal shipowner and owner of the Belmere Point on Lake Memphremagog. Belmere Point remained in the Routledge family until 1990. Donated by Mr. James Routledge, Belmere — Stanstead Co., Quebec, 2000.
Inventory number: 2000.19
Adopted by Grant Myers
15. Henry Seth Taylor’s Sofa-Bed, 19th century
Henry Seth Taylor (1833-1887), who, among many other things, built the first steam automobile in Canada, designed and built this sofa-bed. It is the forerunner of the present day convertible couch. The ingenious mechanism for converting the sofa to a bed for two must be seen to be appreciated. This object was donated to the SHS in 1982 by Doug Farrow, and was displayed for the first time in 1985 when the Colby Curtis Museum was still located in Beebe.
Inventory number: 1989.308
Adopted by Clément Jacques
16. General Grant, the Mammoth Ox, 19th century
This painting, attributed to British artist William Henry Davis, represents the famous 4,000-lb mammoth ox that belonged to Carlos Pierce, wealthy entrepreneur and former owner of the Sunnyside residence. Its fame resulted in its being presented in 1854 to the future president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. It was also offered to General U. S. Grant upon being sworn in as President of the United States, in Washington, on March 4th, 1869. Donated by Archie Butters, Carlos Pierce’s grand-nephew, 1990. Restoration made by the Centre de conservation du Québec.
Inventory number: 1991.1725
Adopted by Nephew of Archie Butters
17. Medicine Case, 1886
This medicine case once contained vials filled with the ingredients required in the preparation of medicine and belonged to Dr. Chester William Cowles. Following his studies at the University of New York, at the age of 24, Dr. Cowles accepted a partnership with Stanstead Plain’s local physician, Dr. Moses French Colby, M.D. Donated by Miss H. Cowles, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1162
Adopted by Ed Makin
18. Portrait of Marcus Child, 1859
Businessman and politician Marcus Child (1792-1859) was born in West Boylston, Massachusetts in 1792. He settled in Stanstead County in 1812, where he worked as a pharmacist, and later as postmaster and magistrate. He then moved to Coaticook where he worked as a merchant and manufacturer. Marcus Child was elected to the Lower Canada Legislative Assembly for Stanstead in 1829, serving from 1829 to 1830, and again from 1834 to 1837. In the 1830s, Marcus Child sided with Louis-Joseph Papineau’s Patriote Party, and during the Lower Canada Rebellions, he was obliged to flee to Vermont. He was re-elected to the Assembly against Moses French Colby in 1841, and served until 1844. He is known as one of the founders of the Stanstead Seminary, which would later become Stanstead College. Donated by Jean G. Castles, 1980. Restoration made by the Centre de conservation du Québec.
Inventory number: 1989.307
Adopted by Ann Montgomery
19. Mason’s Apron, 1846
Master Mason’s apron, hand-painted on silk. Aprons from the early 1800s were often works of art which reflected a tangible connection between a member and his experience as a Mason. Freemasonry was first introduced into Canada at the time of the British Conquest in 1759. By the early 19th century, the fraternity had spread to many parts of the country, including the Eastern Townships. Stanstead is home to Golden Rule Lodge No. 5. Created in 1803, Golden Rule (and its predecessor Lively Stone Lodge) has always been an international lodge, with members from both Canada and the United States. Up until the War of 1812, the Masonic hall was situated directly on the Canada-U.S. border. Golden Rule’s current hall on Dufferin Street dates to 1860. Today, this magnificent building is the oldest Masonic temple in use in Canada. Donated by John G. Gilman, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1600.3
Adopted by Golden Rule Lodge No. 5, Stanstead
20. Ceremonial Speaking Trumpet, 1885
When volunteer firefighters began forming companies in the United States at the end of the 18th century, the need to better organize efforts to fight fires arose. Engineers and officers began using speaking trumpet to direct and amplify their voices in the chaos that accompanied a fire. This one was presented to Stanstead firefighters to thank them for their service to the town. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 1990.171.1
Adopted by Toby & Judy Rochester
21. Advertising Sign, 19th century
Metal advertising sign for Elephant pure, a linseed oil-based paint produced by Pike Bros. & Co. Following the death of Henry Pike, his sons William M. Pike and David H. Pike took over the family business. The general store, located at Rock Island, would be renamed Pike Brothers on April 8, 1874. Donated by Denis Normandeau, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1991.1754
Adopted by Terence Hawes Financial Services Inc.
22. The Old Guard Dinner, 1882
Photographer William James Topley (1845-1930) is Ottawa’s greatest 19th century portraitist. To achieve this impressive group composition commemorating a banquet given in honor of John A. Macdonald, as seen standing in the center of the image, Topley combined several techniques. He photographed each representative individually, cut out the portraits, hand painted them, placed them in a setting, and then re-photographed them all to have a uniform background. Thanks to all these delicate and expensive processes, Topley succeeded in making a complex composition worthy of historical relevance, which can be reproduced in multiple copies and formats. Gift of Mrs. Helen Colby, 1992.
Inventory number: 920969
Adopted by Sylvain Bouchard
23. Surveyor’s Compass, 1802
Equipped with a horizontal magnetic needle inserted in a brass piece so as to not disrupt results, this compass makes it possible to pinpoint the magnetic north. This one made by the American company Samuel Thaxter & Son, would have been used by Joseph Bouchette, Surveyor-General of British North America during his time surveying the Stanstead and area border. A professional topographer, he did various work related to the Canada-New England border. He also had many inquiries about the state of colonization in different parts of the country, of which at least three placed him in the Eastern Townships. Surveying techniques that were developed over the centuries have greatly contributed towards creating the landscape we know today. Gift of John Gustin Jr., unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1358.1-2
Adopted by Susan Copeland and Denis Lord in honor of Ithiel Towner (1742-1810), one of Denis’s ancestors.
24. Knights Templar Hat Box, circa 1900
The Baldwins have been a prominent family in Baldwin’s Mills, Coaticook, and surrounding area for two centuries. A. E. Baldwin, the original owner of this object, was a druggist and chemist in Coaticook. He was also a Freemason and a member of the Order of the Temple, or the Knights Templar. In 1867, the Grand Conclave of England and Wales issued a charter to the Plantagenet Encampment at Stanstead. This charter is still active today in Sherbrooke under the name of Sussex Preceptory No. 9. The Order of the Temple, or Knights Templar, and is the ultimate degree in the Masonic York Rite. Although it has no historical connection to the Templars of the Crusades, the Order follows a strict Christian legacy. Members represent knights of the Crusades which explains the Templar cross on the regalia. Gift of Mrs. Ken Baldwin, 1983.
Inventory number: 1989.1619.7-9
Adopted by Sussex Preceptory #9
25. Chamber Pot, first quarter of the 20th century
The chamber pot, also referred to as a Jordan or Jerry, is the ancestor of the modern toilet. Generally placed under the bed, it enabled an individual to satisfy the needs of nature at night, without having to leave their room. Commonly used before the installation of a more sanitary solution, it gradually disappeared during the 20th century. This portable half-porcelain container was manufactured by the English company Dudson Wilcox & Till. Gift of Sister Thérèse Vachon, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1995.136.1-2
Adopted by Anne Leydet in memory of Hannah Van Kamp
26. Biron’s Sleigh, circa 1880
Originally from Ascot Corner, Pamphile Biron (1838-1917) emigrated to Manchester New Hampshire, with his parents at a young age. It is in Manchester that he learned his trade and became a wheelwright. Biron returned to the region in 1857 to open a bodywork shop in downtown Sherbrooke, known as P. Biron & Sons. The famous Biron red carriages enjoyed an international reputation. At the end of the 19th century in the Eastern Townships, Lord Beresford was ready to order a luxury passenger vehicle, the Ladies Phaeton model, valued at $300 for Queen Victoria! Unfortunately for Mr. Biron and his sons, the arrival of the automobile led to the decline of horse-drawn carriage and the company closed its doors in 1931. Gift of Jacques Darche, 2013.
Inventory number: 2013.8.1-2
Adopted by Stanley & Jean Harris
27. Daybed, 1930
This walnut daybed is the result of a student internship done by Helen Lovat Opie (1907-1998) during her studies in industrial design at Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art in Philadelphia. She graduated in May 1932 with a prize for excellence due to her work. Helen Lovat Opie met her future husband, Charles Carroll Colby II at a reception in New York. She had been working on the preservation and restoration of Carrollcroft Estate for many years. Motivated by the desire to ensure the continuity and safeguarding of this important family patrimony, she bequeathed the house and its contents to the Stanstead Historical Society, which officially took possession on May 13, 1992. Carrollcroft is now known as Colby-Curtis Museum. Gift of Mrs. Helen Colby, 1992.
Inventory number: 920211
Adopted by Gretchen & Robert Colby
28. Dog, Sheep or Goat Treadmill, 19th century
Frank Henry Sleeper (1862-1937), the famous coaticookois inventor of the Norton Jack, conceived many utilitarian objects during his lifetime. Among which was this treadmill. Powered by a dog, sheep, or goat, walking on the moving platform, the conveyor belt moved to the speed of the animal and harnessed the force required to operate a butter churn. At the time, the powers usually used for churning were those of man, dog, sheep, and water. Commentators of the time agreed that sheep power was the least expensive, most durable, and most effective of all. A single sheep could churn as much butter astwenty cows! Gift of Mr. Thorton Cleveland of Libbytown, circa 1900.
Inventory number: 1990.251
Adopted by Valerie Behan & Guy Pelletier
29. Sportsmen at Spider Lake, 1862
This anonymous painting features, far right, Stanstead inventor Henry Seth Taylor (1831-1887) during a trip to the lake Mégantic area. It is the work of a gifted amateur who had no formal artistic training – this is especially noticeable by the depiction of the hands and the stiffness of the body. The painting has an appearance of a photograph, in fact, the figures and their environment were probably first drawn on the canvas using a projector. The artist slightly improved the scene: the opening in the sky is larger and the individuals stand further apart from one another, giving a less crowded impression of the encampment. Comparing the two pictures, one can only wonder: why was the man standing left out of the painting? Gift of John Gilman, unknown date. Restoration made by the Centre de conservation du Québec.
Inventory number: 1989.1477
Adopted by Matthew Farfan
30. Landscape with Trees and River Rocks, 19th century
Artist, illustrator and draughtsman William Stewart Hunter Jr. (1823-1898) is best known for his books celebrating Canadian landscapes through beautiful lithographic prints, notably Hunter’s Eastern Township Scenery. It is only recently, through a donation made to the Colby-Curtis Museum, that Hunter’s oil paintings became known. Without formal artistic training, Hunter developed a painting style which centered on the notion of the picturesque. In this work, the man fishing adds a sense of reality and daily life to a landscape dominated by large mature autumn trees carefully crafting a view of the beautiful mountainous landscape of the region. Gift of by Mrs. Melodie Levitt, Ottawa, 2008. Restoration made by the Centre de conservation du Québec.
Inventory number: 2008.13
Adopted by Gabriel Safdie
31. Flintlock, 19h century
Due to the size and shape of its butt, this weapon has been identified as a cavalry pistol from the early 19th century. The octagonal shape of the barrel indicates a weapon of ordinary or lower quality dating back to pre-industrial times. The integrated bayonet swivel suggests a fabrication date around 1830. The general look of the pistol is that it was produced according to tradition, notably the inlaid bone which are characteristic of the Maghreb, who in the 19th century were known to import lots of metal gun parts from Europe to then assemble them locally. However, none of the metal parts contain an inscription, which was the norm for European gun makers. Three possibilities remain as to the origin of this pistol: a) it is Maghreb built weapon from the 1830s-1840s; b) it is an American-made weapon of the 1830s; c) it is a remarkably well-made fake antique, probably manufactured in Morocco in the 1950s or 1960s. Gift of by major C. A. Smith, 1977.
Inventory number: 1989.1595
Adopted by Stephen Rocke
32. Women’s Boots, first quarter of the 20th century
In 1913, the Thomas G. Plant factory located in Boston, Massachusetts, was the largest women’s shoe manufacturer in the world with an annual output of eight million shoes and boots. Under the label “Queen Quality”, the company made various sorts of cloth and leather shoes, mostly with laces, but some models had buttons. All their boots were ankle length, a fashion made popular by Queen Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. Button boots remained in fashion until the 1920s and it is likely that this pair dates from the start of the century, when it would have been sold for $ 3.25. These dress boots adhered to the most popular style of the era, the balmoral. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 1989.870.1-2
Adopted by Jean-Michel Lamothe
33. Snath Bender, first half of the 20th century
This object is made of a wooden trestle upon which is fixed a long piece of sinuous metal forming a scythe-shaped mold. The idea was to steam a wooden handle and insert it into the mold to get the typical shape of this agricultural tool. This mold was used at the Dominion Snath Factory, which was located along the Coaticook River in Waterville. This plant was transferred from Sherbrooke to Waterville in the early 1890s by Joseph Rice Ball and E. A. Bishop. Gift of Mr. Lorne MacPherson, between 1970 and 1971.
Inventory number: 1990.353
Adopted by Josiane Caillet
34. Eyeshade, 1903
This dark green transparent visor was frequently worn between the late 19th and mid-20th centuries by accountants, telegraphers, editors and others engaged in activities requiring an eye for detail. This type of object aimed to protect the eyes from the brightness of incandescent lamps and candles, thus reducing eyestrain. The green color was considered particularly relaxing for the eyes and its use was widespread, especially in the manufacture of lamp shades for the typical banker. The first patent for this visor model was awarded to William Mahony on September 25, 1900. The manufacturer’s advertising attributed several qualities to them: lightweight, adjustable, durable and hygienic! Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 2019.x.1
Adopted by Penny Packard
35. Wedding Dress, circa 1864
This brown taffeta and velvet wedding dress was worn by Eva Lafrance for her marriage to Joseph Turcotte in 1884, when she was 16 years old. Both were residents of Stanstead and operated a small store for several years. This wedding dress was also worn by Eva (Lafrance) Turcotte’s mother for her wedding, circa 1864. In the 19th century, coloured wedding dresses were considered the norm, and those with shades of plum conveyed the ultimate in elegance. The tradition of wearing a white wedding dress is attributed to Queen Victoria who was the first to do so. Gift of Mrs. Roland Rodrigue, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1517.1-2
Adopted by Nadine Bjornestad
36. Lace Bobbin, circa 1890
This lace bobbin, also known as a lace maker’s cushion, was used by the Stanstead Ursulines for more than 75 years. In 1884, nine Ursuline nuns of the Quebec region opened a monastery in Stanstead Plain, built according to the plans drafted by François-Xavier Berlinguet, a Quebec architect, engineer and sculptor. That same year, the boarding school and day school opened its doors to young girls, and a school for boys was also created. At the time, Stanstead was considered by the Ursulines to be the pearl of the Eastern Townships. The Stanstead Ursuline Monastary closed its doors in 2004 and became, seven years later, the Stanstead Manor, a seniors’ residence. Donated by Sister Angèle Bernard, 1990.
Inventory number: 1990.1666.1-24
Adopted by Penny Farfan
37. Brush Scythe, circa 1904
This farming tool belonged to Erasmus Darwin Smith (1850-1933), resident and former mayor of Magog. The tool served to cut woody plants and small trees in the wooded areas being cleared between 1904 and 1910 to tidy up the family’s summer home, located on the Eastern bank of Lake Memphremagog at Drummond Point, north of Georgeville. Smith painted a yellow mark on the scythe’s shaft, a tradition carried on by several generations. This distinctive mark allowed workers to distinguish their tools from those of fellow workers from other families at the end of a work day involving several families. Donated by Karen Smith and Robert Irvine, 2017.
Inventory number: 2017.24
Adopted by A.J. & Jane DeLange
38. International dog sled derby, 1974
This lithograph created by artist Edward Brown (circa 1900-1976) represents the popular international dog sled derby hold by Rotary Club of the Boundary. The Rotary Club of the Boundary was officially chartered during a ceremony at the Del Monte Hotel in Rock Island on June 26, 1935. It was the first Rotary club to be formed with members from two countries. Today, members are from Rock Island, Stanstead, Beebe and Ayer’s Cliff on the Canadian side, and Derby Line on the American side. Upon retiring from the Forces, Edward Brown settled near Lake Massawippi in 1962, then moved to Ayer’s Cliff. The artist, a member of the SHS, illustrated several Eastern Townships landscapes. Donated by Edward Brown, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1280
Adopted by Charles Dorion
39. Coalport Tea Service, circa 1891
This tea service was offered to Mary Spafford Williams and John Child Colby as a wedding gift in 1908. The set was donated to the Society in 2001 by their son, John H. E. Colby, one of the SHS’s most generous patrons. Founded in England by John Rose in 1795, the Coalport Porcelain Manufactory dominated a significant portion of the market throughout the 19th century. This company created an impressive range of porcelain products.
Inventory number: 2001.46-53
Adopted by Nadine Bjornestad
40. Mary Jane, circa 1900
This speaking doll, donated to the Society around 1987 by Mrs. Ed. Lortie, was purchased in Quebec City in 1922. It still wears its original clothing, only the dress and shoes have been reproduced based on the original garments. The wig is made of real hair. In order to speak, the doll uses a phonograph activated with a key located in the front part of the body. A pre-recorded cylinder was found on the right side. The sapphire was then lowered and activated with a lever located on the chest. Sound would come out of three openings located behind the head. Although this mechanism is still functional today, all cylinders have been lost.
Inventory number: 1989.166
Adopted by Jane Coppenrath
41. Lacrosse Stick, end of the 19th century
Lacrosse was Canada’s first national sport and was most popular in Cornwall, Ontario. Frank Lally, former lacrosse player and renowned lacrosse stick maker, opened his business in the 1880s. This lacrosse stick belonged to Georges Pierce Butters (1866-1938), descendant of the Pierce family, one of Stanstead’s pioneer families. Donated by Archie Butters and Nancy Pacaud, 1998.
Inventory number: 1998.80.1
Adopted by David Drouin-Lê
42. Daniel Curtis’s Ledger, 1806-1829
Daniel Curtis (1770-1833) is the first Curtis who came to Canada. He married Mary Aikin at Cornith, Vt, and they came to Stanstead in 1800. They settled on Range 10, lot 8, cleared and started the farm which remained in the family for many years. Donated by Carmen Curtis, daughter of Arthur E. Curtis Jr., 2001.
Inventory number: BD-A82.1
Adopted by Keira & Rya Curtis
43. Child’s Sewing Machine, 1914
This object is not a toy, but rather a fully functional sewing machine, made to teach young girls how to sew with a machine and sold exclusively by the Singer Company between 1910 and 1950. This model is one of the rarest on the market, especially in its original green cardboard box. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 2018.x.22
Adopted by Penny Farfan
44. Opera Glasses, end of the 19th century
Eyeglasses have undergone significant changes over time. Having an exclusively utilitarian function at first, they quickly became an important fashion accessory to the bourgeoisie. These handheld glasses would have been used as theater binoculars. Made of tortoiseshell, this model consisted of two binocles of different strengths and a handle split lengthwise making it possible to fold the glasses. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 1989.1088
Adopted by S. Lopes
45. Hairwork Wreath, 1962
In the 19th and 20th centuries, it was common to preserve a loved one’s hair to transform into a crown and thus honor their memory. A mourning wreath could be made up of one member’s hair or a composite of an entire family. The hair was twisted into shapes of flowers and leaves. The shapes were then attached to a fine wire structure and formed into a U-shaped crown. The top of the crown was left open to allow the deceased to ascend to heaven or to bring good luck. This wreath is made with the hair of Emma Langmaid’s great-grandparents from Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. Gift of Mabel Drew from Rock Island, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1285.1-3
Adopted by Debbie Bishop
46. Needlework Sampler, 1829
With needlework, the alphabet can be used as a basis to teach different stitches. In general, the alphabet book includes the letters of the alphabet, the numbers from 0 to 9, as well as decorative elements such as figures, borders, patterns, the name of the artist, as well as the date. This work also contains a verse: « This needlework of mine can tell / When I was young I learned well / And by my parents I was taught / Never to spend my time for naught. » The work was done by eight-year-old Emily Pierce (1821-1832), the daughter of notable Stanstead resident, Wilder Pierce. Wilder Pierce was also known for the construction of the Wilder-Pierce building which housed a general store, the first Eastern Townships customs office, and then a branch of the Eastern Townships Bank. Gift of Mrs. Helen Colby, 1992.
Inventory number: 920219
Adopted by Derek Booth
47. Fly Case, 19th century
A leather container used for storing and transporting artificial flies used for angling. This fly box belonged to Henry Seth Taylor and his son Charles Henry Taylor. It shows that an interest in fishing passed down from one generation to the next and a thus established a bond between a father and his son. A professional watchmaker and hunting and fishing enthusiast, Henry Seth Taylor (1833-1887) built the first ever steam car in Canada. Charles H. Taylor (1869-1927) was Mayor of Stanstead Plain from 1904 to 1906. Gift of Charles H. Taylor, unknown date.
Inventory number: 1989.1296
Adopted by Aura Andrade & James Farfan
48. Gas Mask, M1917 Lederschutzemaske model, 1917
During the First World War, combat gases were widely used by the different warring parties. At first tear gas was used, but from 1915 forward the substances used became asphyxiating and toxic, resulting in the development of gas masks. In the last years of the war the most widespread German model was the M1917 Lederschutzemaske. It was characterized by a leather hood, a removable canister that screwed directly into the hood, the presence of removable anti-fogging lenses, and the absence of the exhalation valve. A stamp on the cartridge indicates October 20, 1917 as the date of manufacture. The object could have been captured during the second Battle of Passchendaele, in which Canadian soldiers are notoriously famous. The Lederschutzemaske gave its bearer a terrifying look and gives us a glimpse into the horrors of the First World War. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 1989.1348.1-2
Adopted by Gabriel Chénard
49. Pair of Hand Cards Whitmore’s No 8 Wool, 19th century
Wool, after it has been sheared and washed, needs to be brushed. This process of aligning fibres is necessary prior to spinning, which provides the long, continuous yarn that is transformed into textiles. While combs in various materials had been used to brush wool for thousands of years, likely since the domestication of the animal, a new tool appeared in the early 14th century: carders. It consisted of a pair of two identical objects made of a handle, a wooden plate, a leather strap, and hundreds of tiny metal hooks. The use of carders allowed the production of wool that contained more air, which made it warmer than combed wool. Whitmore was an American brand known for its wool industry products. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 1990.325.1-2
Adopted by François Leduc-Primeau
50. Shears, 19th century
Sheep are among the earliest domesticated animal from around 10 000 BCE, and their wool is the reason for the development of a relationship with man. As soon as bronze tools became available from 3000 BCE onward, the basic shape of shears was designed and has since not changed: two one-sided sharpened blades facing one another and linked by a spring, all made from a single piece of metal. This type of shears dominated the shearing industry until the middle of the 19th century. By 1900 machine shearing became the norm. Gift of by Lewis A. Demick, 1977.
Inventory number: 1990.556
Adopted by Joseph Gaudreau-Latulippe
51. Watering Trough, 20th century
In the 1930’s Clarence LeBaron carved out the 14-foot hemlock log to make a watering trough for the livestock on his 300-acre farm in Stanstead East. Gravity fed water flowed continuously through buried wooden pipes to the trough from a spring 100 yards across Beaulac Road. The trough had a 2” notch cut in one end, so the overflow could go underneath the barn to a brook. LeBaron’s house and barn was located between two steep hills. Farmers in the area going to and from town with a heavily loaded wagon stopped to water their horses at the trough in his barn. Gift of Bette (LeBaron) MacDonald, 2012.
Inventory number: 2012.6
Adopted by Louise Abbott
52. Summer dress and bonnet, second half of the 20th century
This country-style summer set was hand-stitched using a printed cotton fabric from Concord Fabrics Inc. Operating from 1958 to 2005, this American company was known for the quality of its fabric as well as the wide variety of fabrics with vibrant colors and floral patterns. Its products were mainly aimed at young women. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: 1989.432.1-2
Adopted by Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence & Della Goodsell
53. Pram, circa 1880
Children’s carriage with a foldable moleskin hood, raised painted wooden bed box supported by a frame, and having both small and large wooden wheels rimmed with iron. Although its origin is unknown, it is nevertheless possible to assume that this pram is Italian-made due to the two miniature paintings on either side of the bed: one shows a view from the Grand Canal in Venice and the other a view of an Italian villa with an alpine landscape. Invented in the 18th century, the use of the pram grows considerably after the Second World War due to the baby boom. Carriages gradually disappear during the 1970s to make room for strollers which are foldable, more manageable, and safer. Gift of Jacques Valiquette, 2010.
Inventory number: 2010.42
Adopted by Eithne & David Taylor
54. Maple Tableware Set, circa 1880
Porcelain Dinnerware created by Thomas Furnival & Sons featuring Canadian patriotic iconography that represents the Dominion from a post-Confederation era. It highlights the beaver and the maple leaf, Canadian symbols which best represent virtues that correspond to this emerging country: the ingenuity and perseverance of the beaver and the vitality and adaptability of the maple tree. Thomas Furnival capitalized on these patriotic symbols that appealed to both English and French Canadians. This is the first, notably Canadian design to be printed on English dinnerware. Gift of John Boynton, 2013.
Inventory number: 2013.6.1-49
55. Dollhouse, 1926
This piece of popular art was made by the talented Richard “Dick” Woodman of Beebe, then 9, for his sister Margaret. Popular art includes a wide variety of artistic works, characterized by a blend of naivety and refinement, cultural tradition and personal innovation. We can imagine little Margaret’s happiness when playing with her charming dollhouse. Gift of Margaret Woodman, 2013.
Inventory number: 2013.x.16
Adopted by Penny Farfan
56. Bee Smoker, circa 1920
Beekeepers have always used smoke to harvest honey as it helps keep the bees in a calm state and significantly reduces their tendency to sting. The modern bee smoker was invented in the second half of the 19th century and has two essential parts: a leather bellow and a tin boiler. This particular model dates from the early 20th century, probably around 1920, due to the presence of a fuel grate inside the boiler and by the shape of its spout. Gift of Joan & Arthur Friedman from Georgeville, 2013.
Inventory number: 2013.x.17.6
Adopted by Juliana Lynch-Staunton
57. Perfume Bottles, circa 1971
These tiny butterfly-shaped perfume bottles are made of blown glass, animal hair, paint, paper, gold and cork. They are presented here in their original packaging, a round cardboard box with both the maker’s and seller’s logo. The maker, Reiss Parfumeur, was a German perfumer founded in Frankfurt in 1837 who was still active at the turn of the 20th century when the bottles and their packaging were made. This pair was bought in a Boston perfume store attesting to the close connections between Boston and Stanstead at that period in time. Gift of the Butters and Cassils families, 2014.
Inventory number: 2014.5.1.1-3
Adopted by Nancy Amos
58. Scoreboards, second half of the 19th century
Whist, a trick-taking card game, was very popular amongst the Western elite in the 18th and 19th centuries. As such, it was very present in the literature of the time, played by characters in the works of Jane Austen, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Leo Tolstoy. Because of its popularity, the game enjoyed many variants, amongst which bridge is the most popular since its introduction in the early 20th century. In order to help keep track of the score in an elegant fashion, devices called whist markers were manufactured in the 19th century. In addition to the usual score and trump tracking sections, these particular markers contained a distinctive feature: a third section where players could keep track of the number of games won. Gift of by Butters & Cassils family, 2014. Inventory number: 2014.5.7-8
Adopted by Ethel T. Mitchell
59. Belmere Photos Album, 1870
Sir Hugh Allan (1810-1882), a Montreal businessman and wealthiest man in Canada was the owner of the Montreal Ocean Steamship Company, better known as the Allan Line, and owner of Belmere Point on Lake Memphremagog. In 1870, he hosted Prince Arthur of Connaught, grandson of Queen Victoria. This album was a gift to the Allan family from the Prince. Unknown donor.
Inventory number: n.n.
Adopted by Julie-Ann Latulippe
60. Map of the District of St. Francis, Canada East, 1863
This map is a topographical engraving based on data from British & American Boundary Commissioners, British American Land Co., Crown Land Department and Special Surveys & Observations. Based on the 1861 census, this map is an important source for the socio-economic history of the region. It was published by Putman and Gray and includes population statistics, a business directory, table of distances, 18 inserts from the region and 4 building illustrations. Ormando W. Gray (1829-1912) was an American civil and topographical engineer who produced maps and atlases. Unknown donor. Inventory number: n.n.
Adopted by Ann Montgomery
- The catalogue of artefacts is available online and at the front desk of the museum for consultation only.
- To adopt an artefact, or to purchase tickets for the Unveiling Soirée, please contact Mrs. Alison Hannan, Executive Assistant, by telephone at 819-876-7322 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment can be made by cheque or credit card (Visa and Mastercard).
- Adoptions are for a one year term. For the 2019 edition, adoptions will begin on September 7, at the Unveiling Soirée.
- A form to be completed will be emailed to the adopters.
- Please allow three weeks for the processing and mailing of the adoption documents.
- The tax receipts will be mailed at the end of the current year of adoption.
- Adoptors have the first rights to re-adopt their artefact the following year. We will send a reminder by email that your adoption is about to expire. Please note that an artefact may not be available for adoption the following year.
- Questions, concerns and comments about the Adopt an Artefact fundraising program may be directed to Samuel Gaudreau-Lalande, Director-curator: 819-876-7322 or email@example.com.